Wednesday, October 1, 2008

10.3 "Simplicity is HIghly Overrated"

1.I bought a digital camera with much more options than I needed or would ever use. Some of them I don’t even really know what they mean. However it is fairly simple to just take a ‘normal’ picture. I wanted to be able to do all sorts of fancy photography, just in case.

2.I think complexity is justified when products are more advanced, such as combination products with a phone, camera, palm pilot etc. kind of combination. I feel such a product would be very difficult to make simple since it has so many functions. Also the consumer wants a product that “does it all” and are probably expecting it to be somewhat complex. I think items used regularly for only one main function do not need to be complex. A perfect example give by Norman is the toaster. Any device with only one true purpose needs to be3 as simple as possible without all sorts of bells and whistles.

3.“A thing may be amazing, or beautiful, or efficient but it can never be perfect. If given the opportunity to think of new addition for a product or thing there will always be new ideas. This is shown in the industry which is always coming out with new version of the iPod that my look different or have more functions. So I really don’t think that anything in this world is absolutely perfect because being perfect is subject to point of view. Some things that people consider when they think about their own view of perfection maybe elegance, strength, color, size, shape. But every person has their own thing or things that they look for.” -Keenan
I thought Keenan’s point of view on perfection takes a very insightful point of view. Not only does address some aspects that may be considered in good design but also realizing that due to individual preferences no one object could every be perfect to everyone.

No comments: